This is a volume from the library of Count Riant, purchased for Harvard by Professor Archibald Cary Coolidge and his father J. Randolph Coolidge in 1898. At the time the Librarian, William Coolidge Lane, called this bequest “the most valuable which the Library has ever received”.
These photos show both the Count’s and the Library’s bookplates; the check out slip (last checked out 100 years ago); and an illustration from within the volume. This book, like many of the books from the Riant collection, is classed in the Old Widener ‘Crus’ classification, for books on the Crusades.
Professor Coolidge later became the library’s Director and oversaw the building of Widener Library.